This is a learning opportunity that combines practical on-the-job experience and formal theoretical knowledge which will equip the incumbent to qualify as a Navigational Officer or Engineering Officer.
Outputs & Measurements:
- Acquiring theoretical studies and/or a qualification within the set time frame.
- Development of competencies through working onboard the vessel as either a deck cadet or an engineering cadet.
- Developing values and skills required to ensure that the fishing industry is provided with recruits who have a passion for the sea.
- Displaying the conduct and practical skills required by the assigned Officers.
- Grade 12 (Matric) with Mathematics, Physical Sciences and English as subjects
- Or a NQF Level 4 qualification.
Skills and Competencies:
- Must have excellent sight and colour vision.
- Must be willing to spend long periods away from home and be able to study whilst at sea.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to function within a high-pressure environment.
- Must be willing to undergo a stringent medical exam for food safety workers, and a SAMSA medical including tests for hearing and substance abuse.
- Ability to work in confined spaces and at heights of 2.5m and more.