Role Purpose: Assist the Train Driver in the safe and efficient driving/handling of all different types of trains/locomotive consists (airbrake, vacuum, high speed, heavy haul and passengers) to ensure that the customers freight/cargo reaches its destination in good condition, on time, in order to enable the organisation to satisfy the customers’ needs.
- Sign on duty at designated work place and be allocated duties to be performed for the duration of the shift.
- Prepare locomotives
- Prepare communication equipment
- Performs the pre-trip preparation of the Locomotives and the whole Train prior the departure to adhere to roadworthiness and train working rules and safety standards
- Execute shunting activities in sidings and enroute according to directives to enhance safe working procedures
- Assist the train driver enroute to ensure the safe movement of the train from a required point to the destination, without delays or damage to locomotives, wagons, infrastructure track and other equipment, to ensure predictable service
- Comply to safety standards and laid down instruction to ensure that he is well motivated and competent
- Provide accurate feedback timeously to the Train Driver regarding any incidents and deviations along the route
- Assist in performing various administration duties
- Grade 12 with pure Mathematics and/or Physical Science
- Be prepared to successfully undergo Train Assistant duties (theoretical and practical) so as to be certified to work independently as a Train Assistant.
- Be prepared to undergo periodic medical surveillance and safety behavioral risk assessments during the selection process and every 12 months
- Physical hearing, vision, mental, fitness (to be verified through medical tests and related safety behavioural risk assessments)
- The operator shall not allow employees younger than 21 years of age to undertake train driver or train control duties. (SANS 3000, par 22.214.171.124)