Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, ZA
Requisition ID: 30463
Job Category: Construction; Engineering
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Construction Site Supervision – Electrical
Location: Hwange, Zimbabwe
Duration: 1 Year Contract with possible extension
The Construction Supervisor – (Electrical) is responsible for overseeing of the EPC contractor construction activities and maintaining the project performance goals. The incumbent must be a competent person in the construction trade so that they may accurately evaluate the methods and performance in all respects of the scope elements of the project carried out by the Chinese EPC.
The candidate is required to have at least 15 years in the large construction sector experience, with a minimum of 8 years’ experience in Power station Electrical reticulation and electrical systems.
The Candidate is required to have extensive knowledge of construction safety and working with Chinese construction contractors will be an added benefit.
The incumbent will function in an on-site electrical construction and commissioning environment, and as a result will also require strong electrical equipment installation and testing knowledge, specifically for the installation and testing of power station electrical systems.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following key responsibilities:
• Construction Monitoring of the Power station electrical systems, which include installation of large transformers, generators, MV and LV motors and associated electrical generating, power distribution and protection equipment.
• Installation supervision and commissioning supervision of the above-mentioned plant,
• Participate in project progress and client meetings to review the progress and issues pertaining to his area of responsibility within the project,
• Assess EPC end-user operations and maintenance support documentation and procedures,
• Project deliverables imposed by the Project Manager and/or Resident Engineer, including planning and progress monitoring deliverables,
• Monthly Reporting on various project activities,
• Play a consultancy role for automation, protection and electrical systems of the large transformers, generators, MV and LV motors and associated electrical generating, power distribution and protection equipment.
• Interfacing and working with others in a multi-disciplinary EPC project,
• Interfacing with client and EPC on daily basis,
• Monitor progress and review the EPC contractor’s Quality Control Plans (QCP’s),
• Assists in the coordination of the design deliverables to support continuous and efficient construction,
• Communicates the identification, management and resolution of deficiencies and non-conformance to the Resident Engineer,
• Displays and actively promotes behavior aligned to Hatch’s goal of achieving a total safety culture by:
• Leading in investigation of all serious incidents reported and ensuring that all follow-up actions are carried out.
• Participating in audits of work areas.
• Attending all identified safety training.
• Acting as a mentor for the implementation of Hatch safety standards to contractors.
• Ensures governance on projects in compliance to Hatch and Client policies and procedures.
• Carries clear responsibility and accountability for delivery of the project goals as set down by the client/project manager.
• Ensures that safety codes and other applicable regulations are followed.
• Valid Passport and good physical health.
• A valid driver’s license.
• The rotation periods are for 6 weeks on-site and 2 weeks off for Rest and Recuperation. (subject to site conditions)
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• National Higher Diploma Electrical, B Tech/ BSc (Electrical Eng), B Eng (Electrical) Degree (Minimum/Essential)
• Needs to be able to be registered with the ECZ (Engineering Council of Zimbabwe) for project purposes.
Experience and Competence
The incumbent must have experience and work competences in the following area:
• 8 Years construction experience in large transformers, generators, MV and LV motors and associated electrical generating, power distribution and protection equipment.
• Strong knowledge of electrical installation world best practices.
• Sound understanding of various design code applicable to large transformers, generators, MV and LV motors and associated electrical generating, power distribution and protection equipment.
• Experience in Electrical Engineering and designs.
• Sound understanding of welding technologies, non-destructive testing techniques and welding applications.
• Operational experience in the various aspects of large transformers, generators MV and LV motors and associated electrical generating, power distribution and protection equipment.
• Electrical and Control Plant functional design reviews, HAZOP participation, functional control specification assessments.
• Commissioning of large transformers, generators, MV and LV motors and associated electrical generating, power distribution and protection equipment.
• Fully competent with computers and the various Microsoft packages and tools required for day to day reporting and feedback.
• This is a site-based position and will include extended travel to remote areas.
• This position is open to South Africa and Zimbabwe citizens only.
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.